Thursday, March 6, 2008

Dog Eat Mud - dirty dirt eater

So I have discovered that in addition to having a sweet tooth for my electronics, my dog also loves to eat mud. Why do dogs eat dirt? There are plenty of articles on the web with explanations of why dogs eat grass, but why do dogs eat dirt?

The ground is starting to thaw and today on our morning walk, our little shichon started chowing on some mud. Yes, our dog was eating mud. Not just sniffing, not tasting, full out eating mud.

I quickly realized that we had this problem before. I dont really have a problem with it, except that they get very dirty. They burrow their snouts into the ground and their faces get extremely muddy.

A quick check around the internet confirms that once again I am not the first one having this problem. Here is a response to a question of "Why does my dog eat dirt" on Healthy Pet:

Most cases of dogs eating dirt or grass are behavioral problems. It is usually nothing to be worried about


Since the zuchons come from seemingly "clean" breeds I didn't think we'd have this problem. Also, its not clear whether we should stop his dirt eating or just let it continue.

It looks like there are forums of folks chatting about this problem. Interestingly, looks like eating dirt is not the dirties of habits... there are a lot of dog poop eaters - YUCK. At least he is not eating his own poop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a Shichon a few weeks ago. We call her Zoey the Wonder Puppy! Google it and you will find my blog w/her pics! We just love her!

With the ground thawing she roots around in the grass and dirt with abandon, like it's the greatest thing ever! Luckily she hasn't eaten any dirt yet...but it's a hassle keeping her away from rabbit poos in the yard! Aparently frozen rabbit poos are like little doggie treats. Any suggestions?

Your Monkey is adorable! I love reading about your adventures in dog ownership ~ keep them coming!

Regards,
Kelly

Laura Lee aka the Midlife Crisis Queen said...

Rasta, my 5 month old Shih-dz pup just ran out and chowed down on a big mouthful of mud too!! We had to bath him immediately!!

Yuck, my shelties never did this! I'm keeping him in for a while and watching him close when he goes out.

See a recent picture of RASTA on my blog! I'm the Midlife Crisis Queen!